Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday, April 5, 2010

Freezing Meals Experiment Results

March is over and our freezer is much less full than when we began. Was my little experiment successful or a complete failure? Here are my results:

Did we save money?
Yes and no. We were still around $300 for the month, but only because I went crazy stocking up on cleaning supplies and Tide laundry detergent and Downy fabric softner (this is the first time EVER that we've been able to afford to use fabric softner!) I think I counted 7 bottles of Tide this morning! However, we did save money by not eating out nearly as much as we were before. If I didn't feel like cooking, I didn't have to! There was already something waiting.

Did it save time? YES!!!!
My kitchen has never been easier to keep clean. I ran the dishwasher every 2-3 days (sometimes still have empty). My counters and floors were cleaner because I wasn't pulling out ingredients to cook every day and night.

Over all, I feel like it was a great success. I did find a couple of recipes that I wouldn't use for freezing again (Tacos in Pasta Shells). We still have about four meals left and even got to share some with others during the month.

I'm getting ready to whip up some more meals next week and shooting to stay under budget for April!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

still interested in doing it in a group? I would love to give this a try.

Haley said...

What was your favorite or most successful freezer meal?

Holly said...

Michelle - Definantly still interested in the group thing!

Haley - I think it was a tie between the Chicken Spaghetti and the Chicken Pot Pie. Of course, both of those are at the top of our favorites list anyway. I was thrilled at how well they turned out!