Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Freezer Cooking - Another Great Success!

I still have about 4-5 more meals to add to all of this, but we are pretty well stocked for the next month (or two)!  I started at about 8 am Sunday morning hoping that doing this on a weekend (when my hubby could help watch the kids) would save some time.  Didn't quite work out that way.  I finished 21 meals on Sunday, fixed a few more on Monday and I'm about to finish up the rest tonight.  Here's the list of what we have so far (what you see in the freezer):

1 Jambalaya Bake
2 Chicken Tetrazzini
2 Hamburger dinners
1 French Stuffed Potatoes
1 Chicken Pot Pie
1 Chicken Broccoli Casserole
2 Barbecued Chicken
2 Creamy Enchiladas
1 Smothered Burritos
1 Beef Stroganoff
1 Meatloaf
1 Caraway Pot Roast
2 French Bread Pizzas
1 Taco Pie
2 Chicken Supreme
2 Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
1 Chicken Scampi
2 Upside-Down Fettuccine Bake
3 Barbecued Chicken for Sandwiches
2 Chinese Chicken
Total = 31 meals

I got most of these recipes from two new cookbooks that I just bought:  Once-A-Month Cooking Family Favorites and Once-A-Month Cooking both by Mimi Wilson and Mary Beth Lagerborg.  Many of these are fairly large meals and will last our family 2+ nights each.  Once I'm done tonight, we should have at least 40 meals that will last us two months!

I did have to spend about $180 at the store to get all of the ingredients I needed.  That definitely is a large chunk of our budget.  Since I already have most breakfasts taken care of, though, that only leave produce, a few lunch and snack items and milk on my grocery list!  We're shooting for a $250 grocery budget this month and I'm aiming for $200 next month!

I still plan on doing a freezer cooking day at the beginning of June to add a few more dinners to the stock, but I plan on focusing on breakfast, lunch and snack freezer items.  I'm excited to see what I can come up with!

0 comments: